Quakers in Palo Alto, California
This information page is provided by Tom Farley for people interested in finding the Palo Alto Friends Meeting and Friends Nursery School buildings at 957 Colorado Avenue [between Louis and Greer a few blocks south of Oregon Expressway] Palo Alto CA 94303. The buildings are wheelchair accessable.
Palo Alto Friends Meeting does not rent its facilities but does make space available to other groups for appropriate uses. For building use calendar information, contact PAFM clerk.
Friends Nursery School is an independent, non-profit, non-sectarian, cooperative nursery school sponsored by Palo Alto Friends Meeting. Since 1955, the school has offered part time, play-based pre-school programs for children ages 3 to 5 and their families.
Palo Alto Friends Meeting holds unprogrammed Quaker worship every week on First Day [Sunday] morning at 10:30 am and every Fourth Day [Wednedsay] evening at 6 pm. Occasional called meetings for worship are held at other times or places. Meetings for business are held on the second First Day of most months in the early afternoon.
School-age [grades K-4 & 5-8] religious education and preschool childcare meet at 10:30 on First Days in the nursery school building. A preteen retreat usually happens each Spring. On fifth First Days there may be specially planned intergenerational events such as semi-programmed family worship.
Starting from here, you can find out about:
- The Religious Society of Friends -- general information on Quakers -- world wide, past and present
- Pacific Yearly Meeting [PYM] -- an independent association of unprogrammed Friends meetings in Nevada, California, Hawaii, Mexico, and Guatamala
- Pacific YM Faith and Practice -- the book of discipline used by Palo Alto Friends Meeting
- College Park Quarterly Meeting [CPQM] -- the regional association of PYM meetings for Northern California and Northern Nevada
- Ben Lomond Quaker Center -- a conference center near Santa Cruz, California, offering workshops and retreats including summer camps for kids and teens
- Friends House -- a Quaker retirement center in Santa Rosa, California
- Sierra Friends Center -- an educational center near Grass Valley, California, offering the Woolman Semester for high school juniors and seniors
- Friends Committee on Legislation [California] -- a public interest lobby with offices in Sacramento, California
- Unity with Nature Committee of Pacific YM -- statements on Quaker environmental witness and action and PYM's connection to Quaker Earthcare Witness a network of Friends and meetings in North and Central America
- Western Friend -- [formerly Friends Bulletin] a Quaker magazine serving Pacific Yearly Meeting, North Pacific Yearly Meeting, and Intermountain Yearly Meeting
- a survey on Movies on Peace and War Issues -- for family viewing
Page last updated on 11/1/10 by Tom & Sandy Farley of Spontaneous Combustion